Monday, June 26, 2006

What the Lakers should do at the draft.

In this draft, the Lakers will be looking for a combo guard or a power forward with a bit of nasty in him. I’ve taken into account only players that could fall to the #26 pick; I don’t believe the Lakers will make any trades. I predict the Lakers will pick one of these 6 players.

Guards

  • Quincy Douby – 6’3” 175. Lights-out shooter and fantastic scorer. Adequate distributor. His small frame will get him pushed around a bit by bigger players and is just a so-so defender.
  • Maurice Ager – 6’4” 200. Athletic, long-armed with a great outside shoot. Strong finisher and ball-handler. Weak rebounder for his size and just a so-so passer.
  • Mardy Collins – 6’6” 205. Even at 6-6 played the point and distributed the ball well. A solid defender (like many Temple Owls) with a nose for the ball. Good at many things, but doesn’t profile as being very good at anything. So-so 3-pt shooter and a poor FT shooter.

Forwards

  • Alexander Johnson – 6’9” 230. Exceptionally athletic PF from Florida State. Huge wingspan and leaping ability. Very powerful with a nice touch from 12-15ft and can range to 18. Needs to improve his post moves. His stock has been rising and he may not be available at pick 26.
  • James Augustine – 6’10” 230. Solid in all facets, not sensational in any. Very smart player with adequate physical tools. Unselfish and good at moving without the ball. Great at the pick-and-roll either going to the basket or stopping and popping. Given his height he should be a better shot-blocker and is just an adequate rebounder.
  • Josh Boone – 6’10” 240. Exceptionally athletic and a great shot-blocker. Very little offensive game to speak of right now. Seems like a second-coming of Tyson Chandler.

Were it up to me, I’d rank them like this:

  1. Johnson
  2. Douby
  3. Ager
  4. Collins
  5. Augustine
  6. Boone

We’ll see what they do on Wednesday.

All pictures from draftexpress.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Moore said...

what about the trade up to get LaMarcus Aldridge?

nice blog.
i am a hardcore clippers fan... so technically i am supposed to hate you, anywho i like what you are doing here.
link exchange?
- tim moore
spsports.blogspot.com

11:07 PM  
Blogger MC said...

Lakers don't have the chips to trade up to get Aldridge.

I've added you to my links.

11:09 PM  
Blogger SAMO said...

I am torn. I love the Clips simply because my boy Quinton Ross went to SMU, and I grew up 5 minutes from there. Meanwhile, I don't like the Lakers and I don't like Kobe. He is a pompous, arrogant asshole. However, I love his comments to the media, specifically..."I don't know this kid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CY0rLlkHEg&search=kobe%20bryant%20raja%20bell

If I were the Lakers I would trade up a few spots and take Shannon Brown. He is a stud and he could help the Lakers sooner rather than later.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the rumor was that they werre going to trade odom to the bulls straight up.

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home